Sunday 29 July 2007

Black Scorpion's contribution to the metal mountain...

So, following on from the entry about the mounting pile of metal gathering for the diorama, I thought I’d put up a few pictures of the miniatures I have acquired and offer a few comments about them.

First up Black Scorpion Miniatures.

These minis are really nice clean sculpts, standing a little taller than some other ‘28mm’ miniatures but nothing too noticeable, unless you are trying to precisely match them to early GW figures. Miniatures have been creeping up a little in size and I don’t mind the trend myself, though historical figure modellers appear to have a few things to say about it. I am someone who is a sucker for a great sculpt, so size isn’t such a big deal for me(cue something about it not being the size of the mini but what you do with it, meeting the requirement for there to be at least one double entendre per blog entry).

First miniatures I bought from this company were some cowboys from their Tombstone range. I really like the different poses and physical characteristics of the minis in this particular range, I got Tombstone pack 1 which has 5 miniatures for £7.50 and which are nice neat sculpts;

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I like the fact the group looks as if they are townsfolk with their own weapons, hurriedly gathered to visit an impromptu hanging on some unfortunate miscreant. The poses are convincing and not over done and the proportions are all in keeping with the overall feel of the miniatures.

Anyway it was a visit to the site when they brought out the pirate range that inspired my idea for the diorama for the competition one of the reasons I started this blog), but more of that later.

I did as a result though pick up some pirates. A few ‘basic’ sorts like this one

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and a couple of really nice commander figures

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These are multi part minis and I haven’t cleaned them up or assembled them as yet but you can see the clean lines and super amount of detail from the pictures. I was really surprised there is so little flash and the casts are so clean..too used to spending ages prepping GW minis for priming. The poses are great and there is a huge amount of detail and a lot to paint. The command figures are £3 each, which I think is a great price, but then I have been buying Warhammer for a while!

Painted by Black Scorpion painters the figures certainly look the part, as you can see from their Mad Jim Jones, but I like to reserve judgement until I see the figures in the ‘metal’ and these didn’t disappoint. It’s a little concerning to make the first couple of purchases from a manufacturer you have never used before, as its really tough to tell if the actual figures will match the samples posted on their site. I must say I have been really pleased with my ‘buys’so far.


I read a few comments on the Forum of Doom where people had somewhat frowned on the amount of wooden legs and eye patches on the figures. However, in my opinion, they exactly fit the sort of semi cartoony, semi bloodthirsty look I really like in pirate miniatures and its not over done. The character minis are particularly strong and very distinctive. Its hard to make a pirate miniature without being cliched, but I think the sculptor has pulled that off. All in all these guys truly deserve a ship and some stuff trying to rip their arms off (but more of that later, as I said before).

The service from Black Scorpion is friendly and fast and I’d recommend it.

No comments: